Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm WALKIN' HERE!

What to do while waiting for the dating gods to smile on you? Work out. Shop. Read.

This morning I lost an additional pound as the shit was scared out of me by a truck whose driver was NOT paying attention to the fact I was crossing the street. In my mind, I banged on his hood and screamed, "I'm WALKIN' here!!!" ala Ratso himself Dustin Hoffman (Midnight Cowboy). In reality I turned and glared at him and called him a jerk-off...out loud...with my Ipod on. Oops, his window was open. Wow, he seemed pissed.

Off to the greenway, which is a HUGE perk of living in North Carolina (it's miles & miles of paths for hiking, walking, biking), but the downside is that there are toooo many snakes in this state and if anyone knows me they know I'm scared to death of snakes. I've seen 2 on the greenway in the two years I've lived here. A third wrapped itself on the balcony of my apartment about a week after I moved in. I can't think about that, as I refuse to this day to go on my balcony, no matter how lovely it is in October (that's when I tell everyone else in the cold to suck it). So while I jog, my eyes are constantly darting back and forth, back and forth, eyeing the grassline for snakes.

Oh, the other downside of the NC? The heat in the summer. Even at 9:30am it was steaming, literally steaming - YES, steam rising up off the wooden planks of the greenway. I expected to hear a howler monkey any minute and to run across some tribal Amazonian with a bone through his nose shooting poison darts at wayward joggers (hmmm.. potential date?). It's going to be 95 today. With the humidity that's so-hot-your-ass-crack-sweats hot.

I also discovered I have an annoying habit of singing my songs out loud while I jog. I seemed to amuse a few joggers who passed me with my rendition of "Electric Avenue". They seemed less enthused with my rendition of "Me So Horny." Geez...everyone's a critic.

The truth is, the fitness stuff makes me feel good. I've been battling and battling to get off the 20 lbs I gained in my last relationship (it needs to GOOOOOO!) and I go up & down, up & down. I'm down some of those pounds, but still need to keep up the momentum and now that I'm out of school, it's project ME time. What else am I going to do? Watch Real Housewives repeats over & over? And the best part? The exercise pays off. My body is SLAMMIN'... well, underneath a layer of chub that needs to melt off. But damn it, once that happens, it's ON bitches!

No comments: